I wasn’t planning on switching up my routine too much for the New Year. I feel like I’m pretty good at weaving in things I want to do and feel like I’m putting in good work and getting good results.
But when my brother-in-law came to stay with us over the holidays, it changed everything.
While Kamani was here he helped me so much around the house. Making dinner, grocery store runs, straightening up, there were so many things he’d jump in and do before I’d even think to do it myself. My family is generally helpful, but I’m not awesome at asking for help. Plus, when I do, I still need to manage the process: realizing it needs to be done, assigning it, following up to make sure it was done correctly.
So to have this level of support for two whole weeks was a dream.
I was being kinda crabby the day he left. (Okay, really crabby.) My guy called me on it and I decided I’d rather not be a jerk, so, I changed what I was doing. And brought my family in on it.
1. I wrote up a list of all the stuff that needs to be done around the house.
2. We held our first family meeting. In this one, we discussed who would do what, and when.
3. I started meal prepping on the weekend. The idea is to know what we’ll eat each day, shop for it, and prep as much of the week as I can on Sunday.
We just started a week ago and it’s so life changing already. Obviously the process isn’t perfect yet, but I’m really doing my best to work through the kinks with a kind heart. I expect a lot so I can be impatient, but I know that I am consistent (my family, too!) and we’re going to rock this.
I’ve already had so much more time during the day to think about bigger goals and strategize and create what we want, and you can’t put a price tag on that. There’s so much I want to give my energy to in 2019!
Here’s some of the things I’m committing to this year:
- Working out 5 days / week. Really 6 days is my goal, but I feel good when I hit 5.
- Monthly collaborations and photo shoots.
- Studying a new language. I’m half Norwegian, so me and my little guy are starting there using Duolingo.
- Adventure! Monthly adventures by myself with my guy, my kids, as a family, and with my girlfriends. I really do love my hometown and want to continue to explore it!
- Travel at least once. Ideally one family trip and one girls trip.
- Setting up our home. We just moved in in December and I look forward to really putting our touch on our space this year! We have less than 2 years left with my daughter at home, we’re living in my favorite house + favorite neighborhood yet, and I’m enjoying creating a happy home.
That’s just some of the stuff that I’m dreaming up, and I’m off to a great start! The pictures you see here are from my January shoot with Cheryl Birch and Knocked Out Entertainment. It was such a great way to start the year, not to mention that the temp that day was 45 degrees. So warm for MN in January!
I’m sure the list will continue to evolve. As each year passes, I become more and more comfortable saying what I want, and I find strategic ways to bring my dreams to life. I know, that doesn’t sound whimsical and sexy, but dream building takes work. I’m all about doing the work and so excited to see how this year unfolds.
Cheers to 2019!